sábado, 7 de março de 2009

A adolescência de Johnny Marr


Numa peça da Uncut, o guitarrista dos Smiths discorre sobre os discos que considera os mais importantes da sua vida, por entre os milhares que fazem parte da sua colecção. Sobre "Hanging On The Telephone", dos Blondie, Marr teve isto para dizer:

"Blondie was a godsend in 1978 and 79 because there wasn't a lot going on for me. There were only a handful of groups that I liked and for every Wire's Outdoor Miner there were four Stranglers singles and you couldn't move for kids liking the Boomtown Rats, [Meat Loaf's] 'Bat Out Of Hell' and [Jeff Wayne's] 'War Of The Worlds' and ELO were around at the time and it was a psychic and verbal battle with the other lads at school as to why my Marvelettes stuff was better than their Rush shit. It was important for something to happen for my generation and that was post-punk. Until then I had to look back. So when an intelligent and great group with a run of singles came about I was really into it. 'Hanging On The Telephone' reminds me of going to parties and complaining that I didn't want to hear 'Peaches' [by The Stranglers] for the eleventh time and going through record collections with all that ELO shit in them and pulling out 'Parallel Lines' and goingm 'All right then, let's listen to this very, very loud!' This track's got a guitar riff I could imagine wanting to write and play. I didn't know it was a cover of The Nerves' song but that makes sense. It was one of those things that I couldn't work out how it was pieced together so it intrigued me. It was one of those that I'd play no less than 15 times in succession."

Sem comentários: