quinta-feira, 5 de março de 2009

Fire Vs Flaming


Bom, nem foi preciso esperar muito. Win Butler, vocalista dos Arcade Fire, já tratou de responder ao ataque de Wayne Coyne. Sem mais demoras, aqui fica a declaração publicada no site da banda:

"Wow, I can't believe I am actually writing to defend my bands "real" personality. I wish I could not respond to something like this, but the reality is is that people will be asking me questions about it for the next 5 years. I also fear that people will base their opinion of our band on the media quotes of a guy who doesn't even know us.

The only time we have ever shared a stage with the Flaming Lips was our last show on the Funeral tour at a festival in Las Vegas (over 3 years ago)...we arrived the morning of the show from Brazil, slept all day and awoke into some kind of surreal Vegas jet-lag dream in which we were playing after the Flaming Lips...how strange...I was really excited to meet Wayne. Clouds Taste Metallic was a huge record for me, and growing up in the weirdness of Houston, I always imagined Oklahoma City to be in the same universe. I was really nervous to meet him and I felt a little weird that we were playing after them. We traded a little hello, but he was a hard guy to get a read on. Steven Drodz was super nice, and I felt good after talking to him...

So...I am not sure Wayne is the best judge (based on seeing us play at a couple of festivals) if we are righteous, kind and goodhearted people like The Edge and Justin Timberlake (who I am sure he knows intimately as well). I can't imagine a reason why we would have been pompous towards The Flaming Lips, a band we have always loved, on that particular night, all those years ago. Unless I was way more jet-lagged then I remember, I hope I was less of a "prick" then telling Rollingstone that a bunch of people I don't know at all are really assholes.

As a closing note, the main point that I am offended by in this whole thing is for Wayne to say we treat our audience like shit...

At times like these I am comforted by knowing that even though Wayne slammed Beck all those years ago, he seems like a really nice guy to me. I guess everyone has a different idea of what being pompous means.

Win"

3 comentários:

lia disse...

Não sou a maior fã dos Arcade Fire mas custa-me a crer que eles maltratem a entourage e os fãs.

O Flaming Lippo, que muito prezo, deve ter sonhado... : )

Anónimo disse...

Este foi mais simpático pelo menos. O Wayne devia especificar mais o que quer dizer por "treat like shit". Não gosto dos Arcade Fire mas pelo que ouço é beca exagero. Que farão eles aos fans, atiram-lhes papel higiénico para cima??? :)))

Beep Beep disse...

Pelo contrário. Até fazem coisas como esta:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdWEV1p0Seo